StarChefs.com is pleased to announce the 2011 ICC Design Competition!
This is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to showcase your ideas and talent. Three winning firms will exhibit their lounge designs at the 6th Annual StarChefs.com International Chefs Congress (ICC), October 2 – 4 in New York City. Held at the historic Park Avenue Armory in Manhattan, the three-day culinary symposium is the only one of its kind on U.S. soil, where the world’s most influential and innovative chefs and restaurant industry leaders present the latest techniques and culinary concepts. Attendees participate in hands-on savory, pastry and mixology workshops, chef demonstrations, wine and business seminars, career counseling sessions, and expert panels on current industry topics. They also source cutting-edge culinary products and equipment from around the world at the Chefs Products Fair.
The featured lounges will be erected in the Chefs Products Fair, where attendees and presenters mingle to eat, drink, relax, share ideas—and experience the design talents of the three winning firms. In conjunction with this, our 6th Annual ICC, the theme for this year’s Congress is “Sixth Sense: Intuition, Emotion, and Experiential Evolution in Dining.”
Please be advised that the ICC will be filmed. See the video (link at bottom) for a better idea of what the ICC is all about.
We invite you to show us how you would translate this theme into a lounge design.
The contest opens April 1, 2011 at noon and closes on July 15 at 11:59pm (EST).
The three winners will be notified by July 22 and announced on StarChefs.com at that time.
To enter, please review the guidelines below and be prepared to submit a one-page explanation of your design concept, as well as a sketch of your idea. To receive an application, please email me: Susan@starchefsinc.com.
We look forward to receiving your submissions. ¬May the best designs win!
Past presenters at the StarChefs.com International Chefs Congress have included: Thomas Keller, Charlie Palmer, Daniel Boulud, Dan Barber, David Bouley, David Burke, Juan Mari Arzak, Pierre Gagnaire, Joel Robuchon, Heston Blumenthal, Marcus Samuelsson, Rich Melman, Anthony Bourdain, and more.
This year’s presenters already include: Massimo Bottura of Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy), author Francois Chartier (Quebec, Canada), Song-Hoon Degeimbre of L’Air du Temps (Noville-sur-Méhaigne, Belgium), Curtis Duffy of Avenues (Chicago), Elizabeth Falkner of Citizen Cake (San Francisco), Spike Gjerde of Woodberry Kitchen (Baltimore), Pierre Hermé of Pierre Hermé Paris (Paris, France), Bill Kim of Urbanbelly (Chicago), Michael Laiskonis of Le Bernardin (New York), Paul Liebrandt of Corton (New York), Andoni Luis Aduriz of Mugaritz of Mugaritz (Errenteria Gipuzkoa, Spain), Tony Maws of Corton (Cambridge), Ron Paprocki of Gordon Ramsay at the London (New York), Jean-Georges Vongerichten of Jean Georges Management (New York), and Jimi Yui of YuiDesign Inc. (New York).
StarChefs.com’s 2009 ICC aired on ABC Nightline! http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerindex?id=9397506
This is a chance for you to showcase your talents while providing a space for attendees to network, eat, drink, and relax.
- Contest opens: April 1, 2011 at 12pm
- Contest ends: July 15, 2011 at 11:59pm
- Winners announced: July 22, 2011
- StarChefs.com International Chefs Congress: October 2 – 4, 2011
- Set-up: September 30 or October 1, 2011
- Load-out: October 4 between 4pm and 10pm
- A panel of qualified judges will select 3 winners.
- Winners will be determined by July 22 and announced on StarChefs.com
- Each of the three winners will have its own lounge area space within the Chefs Products Fair.
- Winners will have a footprint of approximately 15 x 15 feet of open space.
- Design must incorporate comfortable seating for at least 10 to 15 people.
- Winning design firms will be responsible for designing, building materials, labor, special lighting (not required), all furnishings, and on-site delivery and pick-up.
- Ceiling height of the room is over 68 feet.
- Floor covering is required (material must be approved by StarChefs.com).
- All materials must be flame retardant and built offsite at the design firm’s own expense.
- You will have three hours to install your design onsite on September 30 or October 1 (time confirmed mid September).
- You must remove your design in entirety after the event on October 4 between 4pm and 10pm, schedule to be determined.
Benefits for the winners
- As a featured designer, you will gain access to industry influencers and create brand awareness among leading culinary professionals from respected and trend-setting domestic and international establishments.
- Ability to network with leading restaurateurs from around the world.
- In addition to exposure for your brand, you will receive promotional consideration and print advertising.
- The three finalists will be featured in a StarChefs.com booklet.
- One half-page, four-color ad in our Congress book, which is given to each attendee (3,000 copies).
- Your logo on StarChefs.com, which receives 30 million hits per month.
- Signage within your designed area.
- Your own print material can be placed within your area.